We at ServiceMaster Restoration at The Griffin Company know that we all want to enjoy a Merry Christmas Season. Christmas Lights up the outside of your home will bring out the Christmas spirit. But stringing lights across your roof and around your home can be a real safety hazard if you’re not careful.
Take a few moments to run through this quick 10 Fire Damage Christmas Lights Safety checklist before turning on your front yard showplace,
1) Before you string up the lights, carefully check them for cracked cords, frayed ends or loose connections.
2) The combination of electric lights and a dry tree can be deadly. Keep your tree well-watered. Not only will it stay fresh and green, but it might also keep your house from burning down.
3) If bulbs have burned out, replace them right away. Make sure you do not purchase lights with the wrong wattage.
4) Because water and debris can get into outdoor sockets, ensure outdoor lights are plugged into a ground fault circuit interrupter outlet to reduce the risk of shorts and shocks.
5) Keep an eye on extension cords, as they can occasionally overheat.
6) Don’t hang lights using tacks, nails or screws, which can pierce the cable and become electrified.
7) When running extension cords along the ground, take care to elevate plugs and connectors with a brick, to keep water and debris out of the connections.
8) Check that lights have been rated by a testing laboratory.
9) Not all lights are rated for outdoor use. Indoor lights often have thinner insulation, which can become cracked and damaged when exposed to the elements outdoors.
10) Always turn your Christmas lights out when going to bed. It also may be a good idea to turn them out when you leave home.
We at ServiceMaster Restoration by the Griffin Company are local to the Mobile and Baldwin Counties Alabama area. We want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Whenever a fire damage Christmas Lights or water damage catastrophe occurs, remember we are here 24 hours a day to help. We quickly and professionally handle all of these situations, Please visit our website at www.servicemasternow.com to learn more about all the services we offer.