Mold From Water Damage











We at ServiceMaster Restoration by the Griffin Company we know that mold from water damage in your home can be a major health concern to you. We would like to share some brief information about mold with you.

While certain molds from water damage are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere – in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.

A common- sense approach should be used for any mold contamination existing inside buildings and homes. The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to prevent mold growth in the home.

If you have had a recent water leakage from in your home that may have caused damage, there is a possibility that a mold from water damage problem may occur. We at ServiceMaster Restoration by The Griffin Company are trained not only to handle the water damages but to ensure that no possible mold growth can occur from this happening. We are local to Mobile and Baldwin Counties and serve the Pensacola area. Please call us anytime 24 hours a day when water or fire damage occurs in your home or offices. We can guarantee that the cleanup will be done quickly and professionally. Please visit our website at to learn more about us.


Previous Post Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.  Required fields are marked *