Halloween Fire Damage safety -Halloween is a special time of the year that we all enjoy. Did you know however that from 2014 to 2016, an estimated 10,100 fires were reported to fire departments in the United States over a three-day period around Halloween an estimated 30 deaths, 125 injuries, and $102 million in property losses occurred. With this said we at ServiceMaster Restoration by the Griffin Company would like to share these Halloween fire damage safety tips with you.
- Always keep your decorations far away from open flames
- Try to use battery operated candles or glow sticks in your jack-o-lanterns
- When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see out.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames.
We at ServiceMaster Restoration by the Griffin Company hope this is helpful when it relates Halloween Fire Damage safety . We gathered these tips from the National Fire Protection Association’s website. Please remember when a fire occurs, or you have water damage and need clean up and restoration done professionally as quickly as possible we at ServiceMaster Restoration by the Griffin Company are here locally in Mobile and Baldwin Counties of Alabama as well as the Pensacola area to help. Please call us at 251 473-7766 if we can help. Please visit our website at www.servicemasternow.com to learn more about us.